Berries are colorful, tasty, nutritious and are some of the most potent antioxidant foods. A particular antioxidant, called pterostibene, found in blueberries, may exert a powerful cholesterol-lowering effect and blueberries have also been associated with improved memory.
Research also suggests that eating strawberries on a regular basis may help to prevent cancer.
Here a combination of blueberries and strawberries are paired with a luscious vanilla cashew cream, to recreate a healthier version of one of the most classic dessert combinations.
For this recipe you can use any combination of your favorite berries like raspberries, blackberries and mulberries. You can also experiment with other fruits like cherries, plums, peaches or apricots depending on what is in season.
- 3⁄4 cup strawberries, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup agave or maple syrup
- Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla bean powder or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- Add 1⁄2 cup of blueberries and 1⁄2 cup strawberries to a blender with 1⁄4 cup agave.
- Place in a bowl and add remaining berries. Set aside.
- Then, to make the “cream”, blend the cashews with honey, coconut oil, salt and vanilla.
- Divide cashew cream and place in individual serving size glasses and top with the berry mixture. Place in the fridge to chill for at least an hour.